Sunday, June 3, 2012

Some Sunday Thoughts

I went off on a bit of a tangent this morning on my Facebook page. My intent was not to sermonize or change anyone's point of view. It was just an expression of my thoughts concerning the recent growing theme of kindness I've been posting about lately.

Here are those posts, in order:

Just for the record, I'm not an atheist. I do believe in a loving Creator/Higher Power/God/Goddess/The Ultimate Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich. But all the biblical stuff, to me, is not much more than an historical record of a group of people. My God only wants us to love and learn. 

Oh...and another thing....some of you may be confused because lately I've been talking about kindness and love and how that may seem to conflict with some of the more sarcastic posts I put up. Here's how I see it: Humor is good. Laughing at a situation because of the humor and not because its maliciously making fun of something is an okay thing. We all have thoughts that are less than kind. But we choose to not act on them. And that's part of what makes sarcasm funny. We can ALL relate to frustration with others, and the thoughts we have of doing or saying something when we're frustrated, whether its someone in the express checkout lane with 40 items, or the kid that looks goofy-ridiculous with his pants down around his butt. But we have the thought, CHOOSE to not act on it, and laugh at the situation AND ourselves because we are so far from perfect. Some types of humor are NOT okay with me because they are so blatantly unkind. That's why you wont see them here. We're all just stumbling through life, a day at a time, trying to live, learn, and laugh. :) 

And while I'm on the subject...I have nothing against organized religion, per se. Some folks...probably even some of you LOLers find a great comfort and sense of community in the churches you attend. There is nothing wrong with drawing strength and sharing spirit with a group of like-minded people in my book. At one point in my life, the church I attended was mostly my whole world, and that was what I needed at that point in time. As I grew and changed, I found that didnt fit my own spiritual needs anymore. Church and love and spirituality are good things. But if any man or woman tells you that his/her ideology is the only ONE TRUE WAY...I'm sorry, but I call bullshit. God doesnt care how we arrive at our own truth of love being the greatest force in all the Universe. He only cares that we discover that gem, and then live it. Anything else is just a tool we've been given to help us on our journey. So my "making fun of Jesus and religion" is not done out of spite or mean-spirit. It is a tongue-in-cheek poke at all the things we're bombarded with as we search to find the still small voice inside ourselves that tells us within our own hearts and minds what is right and what is kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment