Monday, January 17, 2011

January Back-to-School thoughts

Classes resume for me tomorrow. This will most likely be my last semester as a full time student. While I've enjoyed the time away from working, in looking at my future and long term goals, I think it best that I start looking for a job. Because of the shortage of nursing instructors, most RN programs in the area are on a 1-2 year waitlist. One of my tasks this semester is to get my transcripts evaluated and apply to the various programs I'm eligible for. My hope is still that I'll be accepted into the accelerated program at Metro when I've finished my psych degree. But in light of the practical matters of daily living, I think it makes more financial sense to me to return to my previous status of full time employee and part time student. I do plan on taking advantage of my educational opportunities while they last, and I suppose if I still havent found a job by the summer, I'll have to re-evaluate my situation and options.

I'm hoping to have a better semester than I did last, and I'm grateful there are no sinus infections or wild fires right now to slow me down, as there were last September. I feel pretty good, all things considered. My latest A1C came back today. It was a 7.2. Not quite under 7 like my doctor wants to see, but it's still down from the 7.5 in July. Considering all my holiday indulgences, I'd say that's not bad. I have a lot of hopes for the next few months. I hope to have a succcessful semester and get my GPA back up. I hope to quit smoking. I hope to exercise daily and be more conscientious of my food plan. I hope to get my A1C to goal, and I hope to be able to dump some of the meds I'm on. But I'm feeling hopeful. Compared to where I was a year ago when I first left the paper, that feels amazing. It's been a bumpy road, but I'm really grateful for this time I've had and to have come out on the other side of it a little stronger, a little kinder and A LOT more hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment