Friday, January 14, 2011

"Machete don't text."

Technology has changed my life. The wonder of the internet created the circumstances for my meeting my hunny a lot of years ago. Email allowed us to sporadically keep in touch all the years that we distantly orbited each other's worlds after our breakup. When we reconnected two years ago, text messaging via cell phones (that weren't as big as bricks like they were when we first met) allowed us to be in touch daily, even though we now live in two different states. Tonight, technology allowed us to have a movie night date. While he watched a dvd at home, I watched the same movie through Netflix on my laptop, and we were able to text back and forth our comments on the movie.

Several people in my world have asked me how we've managed to sustain this long distance relationship when we dont get to see each other that often. Technology, bay-bee! So many couples are so busy with jobs, and kids, and the kids' activities and maintaining a household that by the end of the day they drop into bed exhausted, perhaps without even having a meaningful exchange with their partner through the course of the day. Riker and I may not share the same physical space, but we share 'good mornings' and little quips throughout the day, and "good night and sweet dreams" at the end of the day. I dont have to worry about picking up his dirty socks and he doesnt have to deal with my grumpy ass when I first wake up.(I am NOT a morning person.) Yes, I miss seeing his smile when I wake up, and his shoulder when I'm feeling droopy. But I have his heart and his daily communication. Isnt that the most basic foundation for any relationship?

Technology has changed my life and been responsible for me finding the love of my life. So tonight, thanks, Al Gore, for inventing the internets! 

No comments:

Post a Comment