Friday, January 28, 2011

The Love Gov

I just saw a news blurb about the SC governor who got busted having an affair with an Argentinian woman. He's now divorced and was photographed on a beach with his 'soul mate.' I'll probably catch flak for this, but really, good for him. I'm sure he feels awful about the hurt he caused his wife, but here's someone who decided to be true to himself. He left politics and gave up everything to be with this person who he feels is his other half. I'm not saying it's romantic, and I'm not necessarily condoning it. But he took a huge leap of faith regardless of all the complications and fear I'm sure he felt.

Some people get lucky early in life and find their one true love right away. Stories of childhood sweethearts that are married for 60, 70 and sometimes even 80 years always deeply touch my heart. Most of us fall in love a few times before we marry. And some of us marry who we think is "The One", not being honest with ourselves and only realizing after the marriage goes up in flames that we were settling out of fear of never being loved again. I'm guilty of the latter two.

I knew when I met Riker all those years ago, that he was my one true love. Our relationship was less than perfect and often stormy. For all those years, I wondered, "What if?" What if we had met sooner before we both experienced all the hurt and pain of our other relationships. What if we hadnt wasted all this time before we rediscovered each other? What if we had stayed together then? What if we could be together now, instead of having to wait until our lives are more manageable?

Then I have to remind myself of my core belief that everything happens for a reason, and happens as it should, in it's own time and season. Riker and I are not the same people now that we were when we first met. We're older and a little wiser and much more aware of how easy it is to hurt the ones we love. We were both broken and blind and foolish back then. Our separate lives while we were apart have not only healed our hearts and souls, but taught us the lessons we needed to become the people we each believed the other could be. I've seen him grow into the compassionate, considerate, unselfish man I knew he really was. He's seen me grow into the calm, reasonable, patient woman he knew was hiding under the insecure, quick-tempered, hurtful woman who lashed out at him for lack of better coping skills.

We arent perfect. We're both still flawed and human. Had we stayed together then or met each other sooner in our youth, we probably would have torn each other apart no matter how great our love. Back then I couldnt understand why we couldnt work things out when I knew we were absolutely right for each other. We each needed to learn and grow on our own in order to reach a point where we could be all that the other needed. I miss the years we missed out on, but knowing what I know now, I'd go through it all again if I had to, to be able to be in this time and space. Even with the distance and the complications of our lives, knowing the full depth of our relationship soothes the times when I feel frustrated or lonely. I wish everyone were fortunate enough to find their one true other half and be able to be with them. I will be endlessly grateful the rest of my life knowing I found mine, regardless of how long we wait to share the same roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment