Sunday, January 9, 2011

"That may be free speech, but its not without consequences."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccY9lNRiUWg

Thank you, Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik, for being a voice of calm sanity and reason in the face of the horrific shooting in Tucson yesterday. Please watch this whole clip of him in full at the press conference, in the link above. I applaud him for calling to task the causes for some of the hatred spewed out across this country and I can only hope that even a few people will stop and think about the effect all the negative rhetoric and the utter crap on our airwaves is having on every man, woman, and child in this country. It breeds fear and negativity, when what we need more than anything at this time in our history is big-picture oriented solutions. I said I wouldnt make this blog political, and I intend to stick to that. This is NOT a political issue. It's a human issue. And the needs of the many far outweigh the discontent of those blinded by fear and hatred.

As I write this I'm watching my local news. In what can only be a moment of serendipity, a story was just broadcast about 4th and 5th graders in a program called "Peacemakers," learning and teaching conflict resolution and working to end violence. I looked for a video clip, but havent found one available yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment